A guide to Universal Credit

Universal Credit (UC) – the all in one benefit

If you are of working age and claiming certain benefits, you will eventually have to make a claim for UC. It is being rolled out to different people at different times. Currently if you are an EKH resident, are single and working age, you will need to claim UC.

The start of UC full service:
Couples and families will be affected at different times and will be rolled out to the UC full service. The dates are as follows:

  • Dover – 3rd May 2017
  • Thanet – 19th July 2017
  • Folkestone & Hythe – 30th May 2018
  • Canterbury – from July 2018

From 3rd May 2017 in Dover and 19th July 2017 in Thanet all types of claimants will be able to claim Universal Credit (UC.)  This includes working age single claimants, couples and families with 2 children and fewer. There are also changes to single claimants with no dependent children aged between 18-21 years old who need to claim the housing element of UC.

Those making a new claim for UC after the above dates will be on the full service. Under full service you will have to manage your UC claim online and will be expected to report changes, find support and contact their work coach through your online account. If you are already on UC you will migrate to full service in approximately 3 months after your area rolls out the full service. 

It is important that once you have made your claim for Universal Credit that you check your journal on a regular basis, to ensure that any information requests are dealt with to avoid delays in payment or your claim being terminated.

We have put together our online guide on Universal Credit for you:

Do you want to give any feedback on the website? Give us your comments here