Renting a garage in Canterbury
We have garages across Canterbury, Whitstable, Herne Bay and in some rural locations including the villages across the district. As some garage locations are more popular than others – we may operate a waiting list for some areas.
The cost of renting a garage:*
From 6 April 2016, the rental of the garage is:
|Private residents **
Crown Gardens Garages (Council tenants)
|Crown Gardens Garages (Private residents)**
*Prices are subject to change
** Private residents are required to pay VAT on their garage rental. These charges include VAT at 20%.
You will be required to pay four weeks' rental of the garage in advance when you sign the licence agreement. The licence agreement will list the full terms and conditions of the licence which you will need to read before signing. The minimum period you can rent a garage for is one month.
How to apply for a garage:
What happens next?
Due to the popularity of some garage locations – we may operate a garage application waiting list which we review and check availability on a weekly basis. Once we receive your application form for a garage – we aim to contact you within 10 days to let you know of our garage availability.
Paying for the garage
You will have your own garage rent account (if you are a tenant - this will be seperate from your home rent account) and we will send you quarterly rent statements. There are a number of different ways you can pay your garage rent.
What can the garage be used for?
We will rent you a garage to store your car, other motor vehicle or for general storage. You must not use the garage for any business, trade or professional purpose. You must not store inflammable or potentially dangerous substances or materials, with the exception of fuel contained in the tanks of garaged vehicles.
We will keep the structure and exterior of the garage in good repair. You are responsible for repair or replacement of any item damaged due to any act or neglect on your part or by members of your household or visitors. Please note that garages are sufficiently wind and watertight to store a car but are not dry enough to store domestic items. Please be aware: replacement keys or locks for your garage are your responsibility.
What happens if I do not pay?
If the rent is not paid weekly, we may end the garage licence by serving you with a Notice to Quit. When the licence is ended we will change the locks and remove all items from the garage. We may charge you for any costs incurred.
Insuring the garage
We do not insure the contents of the garage so you will need to arrange this with your insurance provider.
Ending the garage licence
You can bring the garage licence to an end on any Monday by giving 7 days' prior notice in writing. You are responsible for ensuring the garage is left clear of your belongings. We will charge you for the cost of removing any items or rubbish left in the garage once your licence has ended.
Locations of garages:
We have a number of different garage locations across your area, which are listed below. Please be aware that due to the popularity of some locations, we may operate a waiting list for some garage areas. If you apply for a popular area, you will be added to the waiting list and updated once a garage becomes available.
- Querns Place – Querns Place
- Spring Lane Estate – Bankside Flats, Fyndon House, Suffolk Road, Sussex Avenue, Warwick Road
- North Holmes Road – St Gregory’s Road
- Hales Place Estate – Ancress Close, Bawden Close, Beecroft Close, Copinger Close, Culpepper Close, Downs Road, Frencham Close, Godden Road, Hawe Close, Hovenden Close, Jesuit Close, Tenterden Drive
- London Road Estate – City View, Mill Lane, Miller Avenue, Shipman Avenue, Squire Avenue, Knight Avenue
- Martyrs Field (Wincheap) – Cambridge Road,
- Elham Road, Lime Kiln Road, Oxford Road, Valley Road, Zealand Road
- Poets Estate – Tennyson Avenue
- New Ruttington Lane – Artillery Gardens, Artillery Street, New Ruttington Lane
- Brymore Estate – Brymore Road,
- Honeywood Close, Starle Close, Wemyss Court
- Beverley House – New Beverley House
- Westgate/Whitehall Area – Crown Gardens, Somner Close, Whitehall Close
- The Hoystings – The Hoystings
- Thanington – Alfred Close, Strangers Lane
- Adisham – Station Road
- Bekesbourne – Bifrons Road
- Chartham – Highland Road, Rentain Road
- Littlebourne – St Vincents Close
- Sturry – Ince Road, River View, St Nicholas Close
- Faversham Road
- Church Way
- Gosselin Street
- Lucerne Estate
- Tassells Walk
- Long Rock
- Windsor House
- Beaumont Street
- Cliffsea Grove
- Crownhill Road
- Elizabeth Court
- Gilchrist Avenue
- Fitzgerald Avenue
- Matthews Road
- Spencer Road
- Sussex Close
- Sussex Gardens
Herne Bay Rural
- Upstreet – St Mary’s Gardens
- Hoath – Barn Close
For questions about garages:
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call 01227 862 142 and select option 1 for 'rent and payments' and then EITHER option 2 to 'make a garage payment' OR option 3 to enquire about garage accounts.